We are raised to seek for success in our lives. It follows us from our childhood and the way our parents are raising us and through our whole life. It can vary from passing a simple test when you’re 7 years old to get in to your dream education or have the job that you always wanted. And all those things are about success and not to fail.
But unfortunately that’s not the case for all of us. Some of us fails, some more than others. You may have learning difficulties and failed on the test, didn’t get in to your dream education or didn’t get that job that you always wanted. Or maybe you get fired from it, as this article is all about.
I simply can’t agree with the authors. It seems like they want some kind of super human that always succeed, always promote innovations and give energy to the organization. But I doubt that most of the people are like that. We have our flaws and the authors don’t seem to tolerate this. Of course, they explain it as it is characteristics that you can find among some people, but maybe there’s for a reason? Maybe the victims feels unsecure and thinks everybody else are better than themselves. It’s just a person with a bad confidence and who will get a better confidence after you get fired? I know I won’t.
So give people a chance. Don’t classify people and search for a “super human”, because you will not find someone. We all have weakness and strengths and we need to help each other to find our strengths and use them. That doesn’t mean firing people!
Hi Viktoria!
SvaraRaderaI liked your point of view and I wanted to make a comment.
I agree with you that some people can’t help their situation and work better, but I also can understand, for example, large companies that need people who are working well so the companies can be successful. These companies may not want to have people who are spreading negative energy, because they will lose in the long run. But instead of immediately kicking these people, companies can have meetings and discuss how they can make the situation better for these people.
Delal Eken
I agree that sometimes there are certain differences amongst people such as abilities and background. I don't think everyone is raised to seek for success and definition of success vary for every individual. I agree that the described characteristics might be there for a reason that could be explained by poor management and bad culture. Things that the management must take in consideration before firing people (I think Delal had some really good thoughts). As you said, we all have weakness and strengths and we need to help each other to find our strengths and use them the best possible way. But from a management perspective there must be actions taken if there's an obstacle that can't be solved and sometimes there's no other solution than firing a certain employee. In the end, it might be the best thing for both parties.
SvaraRaderaAnyhow, I liked your point of view. It's definitely an interesting subject :)
Viktoria,
SvaraRaderaVery interesting blog assignment! Of course, we can’t always be positive and innovative 24/7. I don’t think people are born victims, non-believers or know-it-alls. People turn into those categories of people over time so the question is, what lead them to become so negative? Personally, I think the company culture and the leadership within the organization are the two big contributors. If someone constantly hears no or negative non-constructive feed-back, they will lose their creativity and will be so afraid of not succeeding that they won’t even try.
I like your suggestion of helping one another. The world today feels very in-humane at times and I think it’s important to not neglect the people around you, colleagues as well as strangers. Teamwork usually leads to better results and it’s essential to remind oneself that as colleagues we work together and not against each other. Help each other out for crying out loud!
I cant say that I agree with you on everything that you say. But you sure make a good point!
SvaraRaderaSomehow I feel that you as a CEO or executive have a responsibility for the company or organization that you are trying to run. You need to try to make the staff as committed and positive as you can. If there is someone who wont do their best to accept this and instead just is negative then you should have some possibility to let them go. You need to think about the best for the company as well.
But on the other hand you cant let someone go just because their having a bad day!
Hi Viktoria,
SvaraRaderaI enjoyed reading your post but I'm not sure I agree with your main point.
A business is run for profit and in today's highly competitive market, the more flaws a person has, the more likely they are to be first in line to be fired. In a Utopian existence, we would all help each other out and accept people for who they are but even in Sir Thomas More's day, this ideal and perfectly harmonious land was just imaginary. It is a sad fact of life that the market economy just won't support 'giving people a chance' because of the consequences of their failure to make something of that opportunity.
All in all, I agree in principle with what you say, but in reality, I think the picture you paint is a little on the naïve side.
It's like in our nowadays' competitive market, there is no room for failure anymore. I agree and disagree with your post, but it only depends on the type of company you are running. The time accorded to the person to make him/herself better may get shorter when the company's importance and everyday-challenge increase. But in a case of a social plan, for instance, those ugly duckings will be the first one to leave a big, international companies.
SvaraRadera